Dental Care 101: What Dental Services Do You Need?
Dental care refers to practices and routines individuals undertake to maintain good oral health and prevent dental problems. It involves a combination of at-home oral hygiene and regular visits to a dental professional for check-ups and treatments.
Different dental services
Dental services refer to the various treatments and procedures provided by a certified family dentist gilbert azto promote oral health and maintain the overall well-being of a person’s teeth and gums. Different dental services are offered, including dental hygienists and other dental specialists.
Below are common dental services:
- Routine dental exams and cleanings. Regular check-ups and professional cleanings help prevent dental problems and maintain oral health. During an exam, the dentist will evaluate your teeth, gums, and mouth for any signs of decay, gum disease, or other oral issues.
- X-rays. Dental X-rays are diagnostic tools that allow dentists to detect problems such as cavities, impacted teeth, jawbone issues, and oral infections. X-rays provide detailed images that help in diagnosing dental conditions accurately.
- Fillings and restorations. When a tooth has decay or is damaged, a dentist may use dental fillings or other restorative materials to repair and restore the tooth’s functionality and appearance. Common filling materials include composite resin, amalgam, and porcelain.
- Root canal treatment. The procedure is performed when the pulp inside a tooth becomes infected or inflamed. During a root canal treatment, the dentist removes the infected pulp, cleans the root canal, and seals it to prevent further infection.
- Tooth extractions. If the tooth is severely damaged, decayed, or impacted, it needs extraction. Extractions may also be necessary for orthodontic reasons or to create space for other dental treatments, such as dentures or dental implants.
- Teeth whitening. Teeth whitening treatments help brighten and remove stains from the teeth, giving you a whiter, brighter smile. There are options available, including:
- in-office treatments performed by a dentist
- at-home whitening kits prescribed by a dentist
- Dental crowns and bridges. Dental crowns are caps covering and protecting damaged or weak teeth. Dental bridges are used as replacement of one or more missing teeth. Crowns and bridges are made from materials like porcelain, metal alloys, or combination.
- Dental implants. It involves surgically placing an artificial tooth root into the jawbone and attaching a custom-made dental crown on top.
- Orthodontic treatments. Orthodontic services involve correcting the alignment of teeth and jaws. Braces, clear aligners (e.g., Invisalign), and other orthodontic appliances are used to straighten teeth, improve bite alignment, and enhance overall dental health and aesthetics.
- Periodontal (Gum) treatments. Periodontal services focus on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum diseases, such as:
It is important to note that specific dental services may vary depending on the dental practice and expertise of the dental professionals involved. If you have specific dental concerns or require particular treatment, it’s best to consult with a dentist or dental specialist for personalized advice and recommendations.